Friday, October 10, 2014

The story of a bookmark

While I was in grade school, my family decided to visit my uncle and aunt at Bangalore during mid term break. We had a great vacation, and then came the time to visit Cauvery Emporium, one of the highlights of my mom's itinerary. She had her list of things she wanted to buy, and I was looking forward to simply admiring all the stuff they had at their store on M.G. Road.  When my aunt said she planned on buying  me a gift, I was really excited. She chose this leather bookmark with an inverse chevron end finished with a silvery gold Nataraj embossed on one side and rawhide on the back. I will  be lying if I say I was not disappointed when she settled on her choice. I had been keen on the more useless things that would look pretty for a while but would soon be forgotten. However, I soon realized that gifts do not get any more personal than this. I wrote my name on the back and started using it right away. It would sit on my desk when I was done reading a book until a new one came along. I soon began to develop a bond with it.

We went through a whole lot of books together, through school and college, through my stint as a research fellow, and after I got married. Reading took a back seat when a demanding baby came into my life, but the bookmark remained my friend.

When we decided to move countries, all of my house needed to be packed into four suitcases. I figured the tiny bookmark would easily slip in my handbag and go wherever I went and so it ended up joining a whole lot of tiny things that fell in the same category. How much one accumulates that falls in one special category or the other!

So the little leather strip traveled across oceans and landed here in my home. We went through a myriad of emotions together, books that were dramatic, some that were sad, others that made me laugh, and some that stayed with me long after the last page was turned.

I used to take this little page marker for granted until one day I got an email from the library that the book I had asked for was ready to be picked up. I got the book home and opened the desk drawer as usual to get the bookmark out and start reading. It wasn't there! I looked again, and then rummaged through the entire drawer, but no! It wasn't there! Breathe, I told myself, it's probably on the desk. I looked all over, high and low, to no avail. It had simply disappeared. Two days later, I pulled out another bookmark that had been lying around for years  and decided to start the book. I remember it was Khaled Hosseini's And The Mountains Echoed. Every time I picked up the book, the new bookmark looked up at me and I would feel something amiss. I finished the book, didn't like it as much as his earlier ones and returned it to the library. I also decided to ask the librarian if they had found any bookmark that fit my description. I was a little hesitant as I asked thinking what person in the right mind would return a book with a bookmark in it. Turned out there are plenty who do just that! The helpful gentleman at the library went inside and came out with a handful of leather bookmarks and asked me to check if mine was one of them. It wasn't! He said he would still keep an eye out for it and wished me luck.

I came back home, trying to think what I had done with my book prior to the last one. That's when I had the aha! moment. My brain suddenly threw out a little detail at me which I had completely forgotten. I had been at work when I had finished the book, and I had carefully taken out the bookmark,  and put it in the bag I take to work. On the way back home, I had dropped the book back at the library. I ran to the cabinet and opened the bag. There it was, lying at the bottom of the files, wondering what took me so long to get to it!

Things are fine again in the reading world! 
        

1 comment:

  1. Phew ..! I held my breath while reading till u found it. I can empathise with this. I still have my head pillow right from kindergarten days. When I eloped to marry this pillow too tagged along. So glad u got ur bookmark back. Reading would not be the same without it :)

    ReplyDelete