Saturday, August 25, 2018

Pencil Drawings

It was by accident that I discovered the joy of pencil drawing. Here are a few of the drawings I have done in the past three months. I would appreciate feedback.
This one of Half Dome from Yosemite is my most recent endeavor. More about it at the end of this post. 

Pencil Drawing - Half Dome from Glacier Point, Yosemite

A friend needed this sketch to be drawn for an important event in her family. She called to ask if I would do it for her. I was skeptical and confessed to her that drawing faces was a very challenging task for me and that I would end up ruining it. She was persistent and very encouraging, she insisted she had a plan B in place in case this attempt did not work out.
Very hesitantly, I started out. She wanted it on canvas, and erasing lines on canvas wasn't easy. Slowly, it began to take shape, and very soon, I realized I was enjoying it immensely!
This was the result, Krishna with a flute. My friend was very pleased with the drawing and thanked me profusely. What she did not realize was that she had opened a door for me that I never knew existed! I shall forever be grateful to her for coaxing me into trying something new.

Pencil Drawing- Krishna with flute- on canvas

I was bitten by the bug of pencil drawing. I had a couple of extra canvases. I decided to turn to YouTube to check out tutorial videos. This lighthouse was from one such video. YouTube is such a great resource to learn new skills. I thank the artist for uploading such a fabulous video.  
I found this process of drawing so meditative! 

Pencil Drawing- Lighthouse

Lighthouses are very dear to me. I have written about 20 of them earlier on this blog here, here, and here. This one below was a picture I found of the internet. It is a beautiful lighthouse at Kovalam, in the state of Kerala in India. This canvas was to be a gift to someone from India, so I chose this lighthouse. Again, it was a very enjoyable experience figuring out how to adapt the technique to reproduce a photograph.
At about this time, an artist friend told me that generally, pencils are not used on canvas. As much as I had enjoyed doing these drawings, I decided to buy some drawing paper from the art store. Michaels, here I come!

Pencil Drawing- Lighthouse at Kovalam, Kerala, India

The Bass Harbor Lighthouse at Acadia National Park in Maine, was my first drawing on paper, and what a difference it made, in the ease of execution. This drawing is again from a photo I had taken, and I see there is room for improvement when I take this one on again.

Pencil Drawing- Bass Harbor Lighthouse at Acadia National Park, Maine

This historic landmark from Goa, India- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church at Panaji, was my next project. Growing up in the city of Panaji makes this monument a dear subject and I thoroughly enjoyed working on this one. I have learned so much from every one of these drawings.

Pencil Drawing- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church, Goa, India

After drawing buildings for a while, I decided to take another look at YouTube tutorials for pencil drawings, and found this beautiful beach front drawing tutorial. It was such a pleasure to learn new techniques, and managing to get some of the effects explained in the tutorials that I was seeking to bring into my work. Thanks to these wonderful artists for sharing their knowledge!

Pencil Drawing- Beach front

Another historic place of worship from Goa, India is the Shri. Shantadurga temple, Kavle, Goa. These old temples have a beautiful structure called 'Deep Mal (दीप माळ)' or 'Deep Stambh (दीप स्तंभ)' or 'Pillar of Lights', in the courtyard in front of the main temple. They are illuminated on special occasions and are fascinating architectural elements. This drawing is from a photograph I took when I visited, and shows the water tank in the foreground, with a Tulasi vrindavan in it.

Pencil Drawing- Shri Shantadurga Temple, Kavle, Goa, India

As I move back and forth between architectural stunners and natural ones, Yosemite cannot be left behind. I was mesmerized by the granite wonders at the valley and had written about them here
Here is Half Dome as seen from Glacier Point. This majestic structure and Clouds Rest right behind it (the name does not disappoint, clouds are almost always around it), just beckoned me to try drawing them. The clouds in the picture may seem dramatic, but they are just like this in the photograph I took a couple of years ago. 

These are my attempts at pencil drawing in the last three months. It was one of the those art forms that I had previously decided was too hard for me to pursue. There is truth to that adage about not dismissing anything without trying your hand at it. With each of them, I learn something new, and each one of them has given me immense joy. I guess that is the essence of any art form, enjoying the journey.  

Pencil Drawing - Half Dome from Glacier Point, Yosemite

2 comments:

  1. I was in Houston when you did your Krishna work. I was amazed at speed at which you mastered the art. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete