Thursday, May 5, 2016

Growing Bush Beans

An unexpected gift of different kinds of seeds from some dear friends came as a delightful surprise this spring. With the addition of another raised bed, I now have more area for vegetable growing. I decided to try sowing beans. The seeds had a packet of 'Blue Lake' Bush Beans seeds. I chose 6 and put them in little seed starters in the first week of March.


They were about three inches high in about 2 weeks and I put them in my new raised bed with little pea plants for company. 


They were bush beans so I didn't have to worry about putting up a trellis, but I decided to put cages around all six plants. I found these nice green ones that seemed perfect!


By the second week of April, all the plants had small white flowers.


Soon enough, I noticed the very first tiny bean among the flowers! It was exciting to see the development!


The little ones were growing fast and here is a picture of a cluster of beans.

On the last day of April, about forty + beans were ready to be harvested. I added them to a salad. They were delicious. 


1 comment:

  1. wow it is so exciting.The photographs are so nice and clear. Wish I could do the same. The beans look like श्रावण घेवडा. you made a salad using them? how?
    The blog looks very interesting. Intend to read every article just now.

    ReplyDelete