Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Bees etc.

After seeing a lot of 'action' in my yard this morning, I decided to write about the 'wildlife' I find here. I am not including birds, which have already featured in a few posts eariler. This one is about insects and reptiles, and a mammal.

This morning as I was scanning the bean plant for beans to pluck, I noticed a bumble bee and then realized there were two of them. In the image below, you can see a flower, two young bean pods, and the pollinating agent.

Bumble bee with full pollen sacs on a Bean plant

I was glad to see them visiting my yard and helping out. The bright yellow pollen sacs on the hind legs of the bumble bee meant it had found enough food and would likely visit again. I do not use chemicals in the yard and that was a plus.
The bee population is dwindling because so many bees ingest insecticides, pesticides, and other additives used in landscaping and gardening/farming. The effects are many- death by poisoning, or the bees becoming disoriented. They cannot find the way back to their hive and the hive dies a result. Imagine a garden without insects. So many plants depend solely on insects to pollinate flowers. I am so glad awareness is spreading among gardeners to do the right thing.

Bumble bee with full pollen sacs

A honey bee feeds on Thai Basil flowers. The bees seem to love Basil! Please click on the picture to enlarge it. The pollen sac is seen on the hind leg. It isn't very full, but it is amazing to see how they store the pollen.

Honey bee on Thai Basil flowers

Another bee on Thai Basil.


A White-tipped Black Moth, which is found in Florida and Texas, was also paying a visit to the Thai Basil flowers, which seem to be very popular!


This interesting looking guest was taking respite from the summer heat on the Fava Bean vine. Such an elaborate design on a grasshopper! Helps it blend well.

Grasshopper on the Fava Bean Bush

A wasp sits on a bean flower.

Wasp on a long bean flower

I have found a good number of Green Anoles in the yard. This one was among the leaves of the bean plant. I have seen them on White Ginger Lilies as well as several other trees and bushes.

Green Anole on bean plant

Show off! Or most likely guarding his territory by displaying the bright orange dewlap. They also display the dewlap to attract female Anoles. 

Green Anole with Extended Dewlap

Another Green Anole trying to mark his territory. They clench the hyoid bone in the lower jaw to extend the dewlap.  Their skin has a rough texture but it is beautiful and the details can be seen when the dewlap is puffed. 

Green Anole - Close-up Dewlap

Green Anole -  Dewlap

Brown Anoles also reside among the greens in the yard. This young one was using a White Ginger Lily leaf as a hammock to relax.
Brown Anoles also extend their dewlaps. However, I have yet to see one display it. 

Young Brown Anole

Young Brown Anole

Dragon and damsel flies of various colors are regular visitors. They love to play when I am out with the hose watering plants in planters. 


I had once made a collage of the different colored ones that I found in the yard.


The one below is a Common whitetail. I like to call it the tiger, for obvious reasons.

Common Whitetail Female

Finally, here is the prowler who helps itself to all the goodies in the yard.

Squirrel


2 comments: