Sunday, November 27, 2016

Some Lighthouses in New England- 2

Continuing with my lighthouse discovery mission, as we drove up the coast of Maine, we took a short detour to visit this one.

9. Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine

Busy with my camera taking pictures of the lighthouse, I failed to notice this senior lady in purple trousers and a matching shirt walk up to me and ask if I was done taking pictures so she could walk up to the lighthouse. She looked about 75 to 80 years old, and I thought she was with other tourists like us.
"Of course", I said, "go on!" and I started taking pictures of some very interesting rocks nearby. 
She walked to the lighthouse and back, to bump into me again. She said hello, and asked me how I had heard about this lighthouse. I said I had been looking for interesting looking lighthouses, and had found this one on google. 
"Isn't it beautiful?" she asked.
"It sure is." I replied. 
"Where are you from?"- was her next question. 
"Texas" I said. 
"Whoa! You've come a long way! Where are y'all headed?"
"Bar Harbor" I replied, (rolling my r's appropriately), "and Acadia National Park". 
"Oh, forget that southern accent up here!", she declared, "Up here, you say- we're going to Bah-Hahbah!"
I laughed... and she said- "I'm serious! By the way, do you know you have a national park in Texas as well?" 
"Yes, Big bend, but we haven't visited it yet", I replied. 
"It's beautiful", she said, "Each state has it's own beauty, two days is never enough to see all of it. You know what I want to do- spend a month each in all 48 contiguous states and then check myself into a nursing home and bore the heck out of all residents there with my stories!"
I said I thought it was a splendid idea! 
"I really wish I could do that." she added. 
She talked some more, and my husband was wondering what I was talking about for so long with a stranger! 
Then suddenly she asked- "Do you recycle?"
"Of course", I replied, "my recycle bin is full and I have hardly any trash, because all my kitchen waste goes into a composter!" 
"That's great! You know what a young girl in my family did the other day? She threw a lollipop stick out the car window... does her mother not teach her anything! What's with some people today! Anyways, I won't take any more of your time, it was nice talking to you. Enjoy your trip to Bah Hahbah!"
"Thank you, it was great talking to you too", I said, and went back to taking pictures. 
When I turned around, she was nowhere to be seen. I asked my husband if he had seen her, and he said she got into her car and drove away, all by herself! 
When we got to Bar Harbor, we saw t-shirts for sale that said Bah-Hahbah! I knew what that meant because of the charming lady in purple! It was nice meeting you Ma'am!


Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine

A wooden boardwalk leading to the lighthouse. This lighthouse was featured in the film Forrest Gump. I did not know this when we visited.

Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine

Very interesting looking rocks near the lighthouse. A result of complicated layering and folding processes described here, these rocks have subtle color differences between layers.

Rocks near Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine

The lighthouse with the keeper's house. The lighthouse was originally built in 1832, and the present brick tower was replaced in 1857.

Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine

2. Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven, Connecticut

The lighthouse is now surrounded by a park, and is a popular bird watching site especially in months when migratory birds visit by the thousands. 

Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven, CT

3. Stonington Old Lighthouse, Connecticut

The building is now used as an old lighthouse museum.

Stonington Old Lighthouse, CT

 4. Nobska Lighthouse, Massachusetts

This picture was taken from the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. The lighthouse was established in 1826, and the present tower was built in 1876. It is a lovely lighthouse with the keeper's house, a radio beacon house, and a small oil house attached.

Nobska Lighthouse, Massachusetts

5. West Chop Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

This picture was also taken from the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. The tower and the keeper's dwelling are on the side. It is listed on National Register of Historic Places.

West Chop Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard

6. Edgartown Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Lighthouse Beach, Martha's Vineyard

7. East Chop Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Originally set up in 1828, this lighthouse was important in receiving signals from Nantucket and relaying them to Woods hole, and surrounding areas.

East Chop Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard

8. Scituate Light, Cedar Point, Massachusetts

This old lighthouse, which is also on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1811. The keeper's house is now a private residence. We visited on a very rainy day, and the grey skies are evident in the picture.

Scituate Lighthouse, Massachusetts

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading all about the interesting lighthouses and loved your little chat with the old lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment, Vani! Much appreciated!

      Delete