Saturday, April 30, 2022

Smith Oaks Rookery- 1- Roseate Spoonbills

Visiting the Smith Oaks Rookery during March/April during breeding season is ideal, and it had been on my bucket list for the past 6-7 years. This spring, the visit materialized and I got to spend some very delightful hours there. I will dedicate this post to the Roseate Spoonbills. 

Camera in hand, we arrived at the rookery at about 11 am, and almost immediately, I felt the excitement around me. A volunteer was gracious to point me to a Prothonotary Warbler that posed nicely for a few pictures. Its vibrant yellow color dazzling. 


A flash of pink appeared as I walked ahead to an island, and it was a Roseate Spoonbill in flight. 

There were several pairs in the process of courtship, or nesting, and I did not get to see any young ones in the nests. 

The birds had their breeding plumage on display! Bright red patches on wings, and red and orange feathers on the tail create a stunning sight!

The birds are trying to impress a mate, and stick gathering is a task all the birds engaged in, whether it was the Spoonbills, the Egrets, or Herons. 

It is a spectacular sight to see a Spoonbill spread its wings and take flight!

Some intimate gestures there, this includes rubbing against each other, clasping beaks, and ultimately mating.

It isn't always you get to witness mating, and even if you do, to get good pictures is a challenge. I managed to get a couple of good ones. 

Love is in the air!

The whole process lasts only a few seconds, and they're ready to nest soon after. 

As the pair prepare to get serious about the next step, they choose a good spot.

Another good picture showing the breeding plumage.

He gets the sticks, she builds the nest, and soon, eggs are laid. 

Different kinds of birds all nest in the same area, usually on islands or with water nearby. 

A pair incubating eggs in a nest.

I hope to go back someday soon to observe young ones.





8 comments: