Thursday, September 3, 2009

Yay! Gotcha...........

Hummingbirds had a policy last season (those of you who read Backyardigans previously in this blog- will remember).... Photography was strictly prohibited! Well, I think there was major disapproval of that policy and the feedback was taken into consideration. There was a change this season.

I stepped into the backyard this morning to try out a new camera. It was early in the morning. The sun had just risen. I was trying to find a good subject to capture. Suddenly I saw something small fly past... a cute dragonfly. Ha... fooled me... I mused! Another quick dart on my left and there he was... this cute guy (or gal.. I honestly don't know how to tell!).... a greenish hummingbird, flitting on the roses.

Roses?????? Really??? Guys...... I have your favorite bottle brushes planted just for you. What are you doing on my roses? I went click happy... steady shot... smile recognition... and all the fancy settings on the camera went haywire. In the next instant though, he was gone. I got inside and downloaded the pictures. I could not tell if I had managed to get him or not. Zooming in on one picture revealed... YESSSSSSSS! There he was... he was actually feeding on the yellow rose. It is amazing to see these little birds, they are not larger than your index finger, and their wings flap non-stop as they feed. It is a challenge for a photography enthusiast like me to get a decent shot of them.





Click on the picture to enlarge it... I managed to get him alright!

I have never seen these guys feed on the roses before, the bottlebrushes are their favorite joint. Hey... but do you always eat Chinese? You went Italian last week, and Mediterranean the week before. Why am I surprised if this little fella wanted a different kind of fare for a change?
I wish I had that awesome zoom lens, I would have got a much better picture, but who am I kidding? The guys who get those truly awesome shots are the ones who sit patiently even in the HOT Texas sun, waiting for their subject to make an appearance. I would think of a thousand better things to do right at that moment. So, here I am basking in the glory today! Yay for me!

My next goal is to catch them feeding on the bottle brush. They are blooming again, just in time for the little things that make their appearance in late August through September. Wish me luck, people!

2 comments:

  1. Good pics. I wish I could take such pics when humming birds move near hibiscus flowers in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could snap a humming-bird hovering around a hibiscus flower in our garden

    ReplyDelete