Saturday, February 25, 2017

Succulents

The gardening bug hits me in January every year, and I feel restless that I cannot do anything about it until the threat of a last frost/freeze is over. This year, the winter has been so mild, and so warm, that I decided to get at least some succulents for my front porch.

I have always been fond of succulents, and have had several of them over the years.

One dear spiny cactus (Mammillaria species) that I have had for the last 5 years succumbed to the three day freeze we had earlier in January. I am not sure why I did not get it indoors during the freeze like I do every year. It did not survive and I will not enjoy its bright pink blooms in spring this year. Here is a photo of it from last year.

Mammillaria species- with pink flowers

There were two Kalanchoes that I have had for the last 5-6 years. They did not survive the freeze either. Their blooms from last year-

Kalanchoe

Kalanchoe

I have had this Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera species) for the past several years. I had moved it from the porch out into the garden last year. It hasn't liked the new home and though it survived the freeze, I think I will bring it back to the covered porch soon.

Christmas Cactus- Schlumbergera

Every December, it used to be full of these beautiful bright reddish pink flowers.

Christmas Cactus flower- Schlumbergera

Aloe vera was doing very well in a planter and took a hit in the freeze, but it has survived and will bounce back soon hopefully. The gel from the leaves was a great help when I accidentally poured boiling milk over the back of my hand. It was very soothing when applied over the affected area, and there is no scar after healing.

Aloe vera

Last spring, at the local plant swap, a kind lady let me have this cascading cactus. The swap was almost over, and this one was left behind. It was in a tiny little disposable cup with very little soil, and she was doubtful it will make it. I brought it home and put it in a small planter. Spring is the season when anything will grow, in my opinion. Soon, it was thriving, and it even survived the freeze! Sedum reflexum 'Blue Spruce' is its name.

Sedum species

Sedum species

Sedum adolphii 'carnicolor' has been on my porch for the past couple of years. It has grown nicely, and I thought was a little off color after the freeze. It looks better every day though. On a windy day two weeks ago, it fell and broke into 2-3 pieces. I have planted those pieces and hope they will grow as well.

Sedum adolphii- succulent

I picked up these last three succulents from the nursery two weeks ago. This one is a Graptopetalum species.

Graptopetalum- succulent

I was excited about using these old bowls from my kitchen. My husband got a ceramic drill bit and drilled holes at the bottom of these bowls so I could use them. I need to learn to use that drill bit. It requires a lot of patience and you have to make sure the area is wet so the bowl will not crack. I will try doing it soon.
An Aeonium matches the green color of this bowl perfectly.

Aeonium- Succulent

Another Aeonium completes my collection for now. I have another two bowls waiting and I hope to get some interesting additions to my collection soon.

Aeonium species- Succulent

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful collection Veena.I have two-three similar plants with me. They are growing too fast and I might have to change the pots soon. Our problem is soil. We just dont get good soil here and I have to be extra careful while replanting. The photos are really good. All in all excellent article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nandini. Some of them are fast growers and some slow. Maybe you can choose the slow growing ones so you don't have to change the soil often. The prickly one I have (the last picture in my other post on succulents), has been in that pot for over 2 years.

      Delete