Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Carotene fix!

Several years ago, I had tried growing carrots in the yard. I didn't have raised beds back then, nor was soil as loose as it is now. They were not planted at a good time either. I ended up with one lone carrot, really tiny, and the color wasn't great. Totally disheartened, I decided carrot growing was not for me and did not try it again, until this season.

Late in December, I spent a day in the garden and decided to try plant a few kind of seeds. Job done, I waited for green to show up. Carrots were the earliest to spring up! And then came the freeze! I know I keep talking about the big freeze, but along the Texas coast, a bad one like that comes once in a while, and does some significant damage. I had covered the carrots with an old sheet, and to my delight, the seedlings looked fine when it finally warmed up and the sun was shining again.

By the first week of February, they seemed to be doing well.

Growing carrots- seedlings- one month old

This year, February was a lot warmer than it has normally been, and the carrot leaves looked a lush green.

Growing carrots- plants in raised beds

Carrot leaves in the foreground and radishes at the back.

Growing carrots- plants in raised beds

The green color was so fresh and so spring like! This was early March, in the first week.

Growing carrots- plants in raised beds

Finally, yesterday, March 14, I decided to see if I could see a carrot peeping out. No luck there! Then I decided to dig around a bit, and yes, some carrots looked orange and ready to be pulled!


Success finally!

Growing carrots- harvest

Five were ready, and I decided they were enough for our salad today!

Growing carrots- harvest

It was really heartening to see fresh carrots right 'off the boat' (pardon the expression), but it was a truly gratifying experience!

Growing carrots- fresh harvest

All washed and ready to be crunched on!

Growing carrots- fresh harvest

Grow carrots in the yard- check! 

No comments:

Post a Comment