Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Growing Lettuce

It was the first time I was going to try growing lettuce. I had Romaine Lettuce seeds, Parris Island Cos- an heirloom variety. I planted some around mid-February.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' seeds

Once these seeds were in the ground, within a week, I could see little specks of green, signs that assure you that there is hope. Young seedlings bring hope with them. Of nicer things to come.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' seedlings

The plants continued to grow, and the luscious green color promised great flavor in the near future!

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' seedlings

There was some Thai Basil growing in this bed last year, and it has made sure a lot of seeds were dispersed in the vicinity. I have so many young Thai Basil seedlings growing! They add great flavor to a host of dishes, salads, and curries!

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos'

I thought I had spaced them apart decently, but I think there was still a little bit of crowding. You learn from experience, and I plan to do a better job next year.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' seedlings

Cilantro was growing beside the lettuce and both seemed to have thrived being companions.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' seedlings- growing

Fresh cilantro and lettuce, with at least three Thai Basil seedlings alongside, and a weed.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos'  growing with Cilantro as companions

The early morning sun has this golden hue that makes everything look so fresh and dewy!

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' in the morning sun

Another look at the bed with lettuce heads growing and glowing in the morning sun! They were so sweet and crisp in salads. I am so glad that the lettuce story is a success this year.

Romaine Lettuce- 'Parris Island Cos' in the morning sun

No comments:

Post a Comment