Friday, April 14, 2017

Cilantro greens

In January, I planted Cilantro seeds I had collected from last years crop. I used a planter for these so I could carry it inside if it got too cold.

Cilantro/ Coriander seeds on the plant

The seeds sprouted and were growing very slowly. Then when the freeze threatened, I was outside covering all the young plants, carrots and sweet peas. I noticed some weeds growing in an adjacent raised bed. I didn't pull them out knowing the freeze would take care of them.

Three days later, when I was taking off the covers from the beds, I realized those 'weeds' were looking as fresh as ever! On inspection, I realized they were young cilantro plants that had sprouted on their own from seeds that had fallen off last year! They are called volunteers. Volunteers grow on their own.
Lesson learnt- cilantro did not need protection from a freeze. In fact, they thrived. This picture was taken in January.

Young volunteer cilantro plants

I got my little seedlings out from their starter pots and put them in the ground beside the 'volunteers'. They were all growing well, but the volunteers seemed to have an edge over the others. They appeared more robust. This picture was taken in February.

Fresh cilantro in raised beds

It was such a pleasure to pluck fresh cilantro! These leaves were used in chutneys and as a garnish for salads, vegetables sides and other dishes.

Fresh cilantro in raised beds

The plants were now growing taller and some appeared ready to flower. This picture was taken in March.

Cilantro- Growing taller

There were a lot of flowers and I have seen some pretty butterflies around them. Soon there will be seeds and the cycle will be complete.

Cilantro/ Coriander flowers- Compound Umbel Inflorescence

Against a partly cloudy sky, the Compound Umbel Inflorescence of cilantro/coriander is clearly seen.

Cilantro/ Coriander flowers- Compound Umbel Inflorescence

Seeds were forming alongside blooming flowers from older inflorescence. The seeds will eventually dry out, and can be stored. These pictures are taken in April.

Cilantro/ Coriander seeds on plant

 A single Umbel inflorescence head with seeds.

Young Cilantro/ Coriander seeds on plant

Dry cilantro/coriander seeds. These can be used as a spice, and to start plants in winter. Coriander seed powder is used in various cuisines around the world.

Cilantro/ Coriander seeds - dry


No comments:

Post a Comment