Friday, June 22, 2018

Summer Solstice- 2- Artistic Pursuits

In the past few years, my artistic endeavors have usually happened on a sudden whim in the latter half of the year. Sometimes, the idea has been in the head for even up to a couple of years, and I suddenly happen to find the perfect materials I need for my project. That spurs me into action. These things hardly happen when its cold outside at the beginning of the year.
This year, winter was packing a punch. It was cold, as cold as the Gulf Coast can get. Instead of just bundling up and making plans in the head, I luckily chanced upon a book while on a quick visit to the craft store. It was called Zentangles. I liked what I saw and then found a whole lot of videos on YouTube explaining the concept. I was obviously late to the party and people had been on this bandwagon for a few years now. Nevertheless, I found this to be an exciting discovery. The play of lines and geometric patterns, shading and colors, it was a lot of fun to explore how this genre of art is presented.
I made a frame using the Celtic knot and found it to be so meditative and therapeutic!

Zentangle Celtic Knot frame meditative drawing Sharpie art

This Phicops pattern below reminded me of Foraminifera shells I used to learn about and got a chance to sort, while studying geological oceanography for one semester. One found such intricate designs in what otherwise seemed like grains of sand. While I was at it, I began to realize that pencils were a very interesting medium when you wanted to give a three dimensional effect to a drawing. 

Phicops- Zentangle

Another variation of the Phicops.

Phicops- Zentangle- variation

At about this time, I found a lot of doodling designs. People are so gifted, and so versatile! I decided to try one with my favorite animal, the dolphin. Henna style patterns filled in the shape. I used a gel pen for this small trial in my book.

Doodling Henna Design Dolphin and Baby- meditative art

You will notice that I may have given up Marine Science as a profession a long time ago, but some of it still remains within my being.

This was another random design of a silken cord that I really enjoyed drawing.

Zentangle- Silk cord

At about this time, I was looking for something to gift to some close friends. I hoped this family would like it if I made a custom pieces of art for them. I ended up making two pieces. 
As classical music buffs, I thought they would appreciate an instrument they were learning to play. How I wanted to do this was debated for over two weeks. I might still work on my initial design idea I had in my head! Tune in in a few months to see if I did!
For these two pieces, I used canvas. The canvas was first spray painted with a deep blue paint. Then, acrylic paint and embossed fabric paint was used.

Tablas- Fabric paint Musical instrument art on canvas

My friend being a fashionista of sorts, I figured that my depiction of her passion would be admired. This would be art for her closet!
Here again, I used embossed fabric paint to give depth.  


Jewelry and Accessories -Fabric Paint Art on Canvas- Doodling, Endless Knot motif

Closeups of the two main designs are posted below. I used an endless knot motif on the handbag. It was very reminiscent of the Celtic knot I had done earlier.

Handbag/ Accessories -Fabric Paint Art on Canvas- Endless Knot motif

I used doodling design elements for the necklace. Finding turquoise fabric paint to give a bead like feel in this jewelry was very enjoyable as an artist.

Indian Jewelry design- -Fabric Paint Art on Canvas- Doodling

These are a few pieces I made until the end of March. Going forward, there are so many inspiring art forms that I have begun to explore. More on those later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment