Thursday, July 12, 2018

Growing Turmeric

About three years ago, someone gave me turmeric rhizomes. I decided to try growing the plant, so I dug up some soil in the raised beds I had recently built, and placed the rhizomes horizontally and lightly covered them with dirt. Soon enough, I had fresh green leaves growing.

Young Turmeric Plant emerging from Rhizome

Young Turmeric Plant

They grew to a height of about two feet and died back with the first freeze.

In Spring, out came the shoots again. I had dug up some root at that point, and had used it in a spice mix.
The lush green leaves are used as a flavoring agent in South Asian cuisine. 

Turmeric Leaf

This is a traditional dish called Patolya. Rice flour dough is spread out flat on turmeric leaves, a sweetened fresh coconut filling is added and the leaf is folded. It is then steamed. That infuses the dish with a distinct aroma.

Turmeric Leaf - Patolya/ Patoleo

They can also be used as a wrap around rice flour dumplings with a variety of fillings. Traditionally, the filling sweetened fresh coconut. This rice flour gets a lot more pliable if you add a little all purpose flour to it, but I prefer to not use it and keep this dish gluten free. These are called Modaks, and are often made without using turmeric leaves.


The dumplings are then steamed.


A wide variety of other uses of Turmeric leaves include flavoring a popular traditional pudding made with Bovine Colostrum, called Kharvas. The leaves can also be used to wrap marinated fresh fish, then baking the fish, giving it a heavenly flavor.

Last year, after Hurricane Harvey struck the Gulf Coast, we had a lot of rain during three days, more than anybody ever wanted. It created havoc in so many communities. After it had passed, I went out to check on how my plants had fared. I lost some, some had thrived, and the turmeric had actually flowered! It was a surprise. I had written this at the time to describe how I felt.

"Amidst constant reminders of how the community and neighborhood are inching their way to clean up the mess Harvey left behind- people tearing sheetrock, pulling carpets, some utilities still under water and not running to capacity, it is hard to be upbeat with what you see around you. Then you see scores of volunteers stepping up to help in numerous ways I'd have never imagined. There are guys with trucks who are working all day transporting people to their homes whose streets are still flooded. Others are handing out water and snacks/ lunches. My husband helped muck a colleague's home, and he said it was overwhelming to tear down something put together so lovingly. My son offered on his own to volunteer, and helped some ladies put cleaning supplies together for those who needed them. It's heartening to see everyone do their bit.
This morning I stepped out into the backyard to assess how many of my plants had succumbed to the storm, several had. Then, in the corner, hidden among the big turmeric leaves was this! My first turmeric bloom! Silently reassuring!
'Umeed pe duniya kaayam hai'- Ghalib
-The world thrives on HOPE!"


Turmeric Plant with Flower- Inflorescence

Turmeric Flower- Inflorescence

This year, we had a lot of rain in the first week of July, but I had not expected to see this surprise. Here it was, once again, exuding infinite charm in a quiet corner!

Turmeric Flower- young

In a couple of days, yellow flowers emerged from the lower part of the inflorescence. It is so beautiful!

Turmeric Flower- Inflorescence

8 comments:

  1. Incredible! And I love the way you write. It did make me feel like I'm there experiencing all that you guys went through. And then thrill of seeing the first bloom... the feeling of hope... that all is not lost!! Umeed pe duniya kayam hein!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how could I not feel nostalgia at seeing patolya and modak!! Aaaahhhh.... drooooolllll!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Chetan! Yes, the aroma is heavenly!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Veena. Enjoyed reading your pencil drawings and bridges blog too. Most are unaware of the use of the aromatic turmeric leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, had no idea that turmeric leaves are used in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naresh! They are used more as a flavoring agent.

      Delete
  5. beautifully written and photographed!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete