Friday, January 24, 2014

Cold snap in January

We had a colder than normal December, but January seemed to be doing okay. Until suddenly they started talking about wintery precipitation. If it is snow, people are excited, but ice and sleet- nah! We didn't sign up for that when we chose to stay this far south.

Schools close as soon they know about ice on roads. They don't want to send out buses into every street in such weather. Offices sent out emails asking employees to report after 10 am or noon. I got to sleep in and that was a very welcome fallout from the situation.


This is what I saw this morning. There was ice wherever rain fell last night. The streets were dangerous as a result. Friends commented how horrendous driving was especially on overpasses. However, when I see what my friends go through up in the north, this seems so minimal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My animal friends in the yard haven't been very happy. There isn't much to eat, the worms are all buried too deep or dead, and little else comes by. I like to put fruits outside from time to time. Two days ago, I put out two apples and an orange. The apples disappeared almost instantly, the orange was around for a day. Yesterday before it began to rain, I saw this squirrel sitting in the tree with the orange. It was a perfect camouflage, except for the bright orange spot! I took one picture from inside, through the glass-


S/he didn't know s/he was being watched at the time. Then I opened the door just enough to stick my arm with the camera outside, but that was enough to make her/him hide behind the branch.


After nibbling on the orange for a while, s/he climbed down, dug a hole in the ground and buried the orange. Probably saved it for a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment