Tuesday, July 5, 2016

An Independence Day Lifer- Wood Storks

July is supposed to be hot! It sure lived up to that expectation even in the very first week. With a heat advisory in effect, we decided to stay home and chill out over the long weekend.
While at home, a few tasks that had been left behind due to procrastination got taken of, and some projects planned with my son came to fruition. 

In the evening, we decided to go for a drive on a rural road not far from home. On one such road, I got to see Cattle Egret, and one was perched right on the fence and I could take a couple of good pictures. 

Cattle Egret

A hawk seemed to be in trouble with some small birds who were relentlessly letting it know that they were not pleased. He had to move from this spot and they were still following him. 


Driving on further, we saw some large birds circling around a thicket of trees. They didn't look familiar so we slowed down. I took a picture, and turned my attention to the field adjacent to the trees. 


At first I saw a large number of Great White Egrets. Then I realized I had found a fantastic spot! There were Wood Storks too! A lifer for me! 

In addition to Wood Storks, there were Great White Egrets, Roseate Spoonbills, Ibis, Snowy Egrets, and a few Great Blue Herons. 


I had been planning a trip to nearby state parks this summer to see this bird. However, a kind lady in a birding group on a popular social media site shared that she had seen them in this area, and I had found them too! 

The Wood Stork is a large white bird with black feathers on wing tips, a bald head and a long beak that looks woody. It was an endangered species but is now listed as threatened. 

Wood Stork

I couldn't believe I was seeing so many of them. This one above is an adult, and there were a lot of juveniles in the flock. Their heads had soft fuzzy feathers, and the beaks were pale. I got to see this one in flight.

Wood Stork Juvenile in flight

I just sat there and observed them for a while, as they fed and preened probably aware of my presence. 


Wood Storks

Some of them took to the air and what a glorious sight that was!


Wood Storks and Roseate Spoonbills in flight

A great way to end the long weekend!

1 comment: