Friday, July 15, 2016

Radish

This spring, radish seeds were among the many new seeds I planted. They were sown in the raised bed in the first week of March, and after about a week, almost all of them began to grow.

By the end of March, they were growing nicely. That's when I realized I had crowded the seeds in the space I had provided. Being a novice at growing radishes, I was not confident about thinning them out. I just let them grow. I knew I was probably compromising on the growth and quality of radish I would finally harvest.


I did thin out a few after a few days.


In due course, I could see a hint of red peeping out of the soil, so I pulled out a few. The regular shaped ones were pretty good. However, crowding had caused some of them to turn long (like the two on the side) and the flavor had suffered too.
I did harvest a few more near perfect radish but about half of them turned out bad.

Radish

The ones I had thinned out after a while yielded some good results. I left a couple of them to grow further. In a few days, they bolted and began to flower.


A radish flower is quite pretty!

Radish Flowers

A lot of flowers were growing and were developing pods.

Radish Flowers

These radish pods are edible. They are nice and crunchy with a spicy flavor. They should be harvested before they get too mature if you wish to use them in salads.

Radish Pods- edible

Radish pods- a closeup.

Radish Pods- edible

This year that I misjudged the quality of seeds. They were a year old and I had expected only half of them to germinate. I hope I do a better job next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment